First Order Assessment of the Indian Ponds:Cape Cod is home to nearly one thousand freshwater ponds and 45 gorgeous salt water embayments. These natural resources require special protection if we want to keep them clean and healthy for generations to come. Learn more about what is being done locally and regionally to protect Cape Cod’s surface waters.
Massachusetts Estuaries Project
The MEP website has the latest research information on water quality for Cape Cod estuaries as well as the EPA approved total maximum daily loads (TMDL’s).
Local and Regional Pond Reports
- Download the Cape Cod pond and references.
- Kettle Hole Ponds, Windows on the Aquifer: Download this brochure to get the fundamental facts about the how and whys of Cape Cod Ponds. Prepared by Cape Cod Commission
- Shoreline Buffer Zones: Landscaping ideas for the lakeside homeowner to provide water quality protection and shoreline habitat. Prepared by ENSR for the Lond Pond Watershed Association
- The Massachusetts Lake and Pond Guide, Protection through Education: Prepared by Mass Department of Conservation and Recreation Lakes and Ponds Program
Town Pond Water Quality Reports
- Lake Wequaquet Water Quality Assessment: Final Report, Jan 2009 prepared by E. Eichner, SMAST & Cape Cod Commission
- Lake Wequaquet Water Level Study: Final Report, December, 1998 Completed for the Town of Barnstable by E. Eichner et al, Cape Cod Commission Water Resources Office
- First Order Assessment of the Indian Ponds: (Mystic Lake, Middle Pond and Hamblin Pond) Final Report, March 2006 by Eichner et al, Cape Cod Commission Water Resource Office
- Brewster Freshwater Ponds: Water Quality Status and Recommendations for Future Activities, draft Final Report.April 2009. Prepared for the Town of Brewster by E. Eichner, SMAST & Cape Cod Commission
- Eastham Freshwater Ponds: Water Quality Status and Recommendations for Future Activities: Final Report. June 2009 Prepared for the Town of Eastham, by E. Eichner, SMAST & Cape Cod Commission
- Review and Interpretation of Harwich Ponds: Volunteer Monitoring Data. December 2006. by E. Eichner, Cape Cod Commission
- Dennis Freshwater Ponds: Water Quality Status and Reccomendations for Future Activities: draft Report July 2009. By E. Eichner, SMAST & Cape Cod Commission